PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2018, 18:03
Enzo999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GetTheQRH
Hi all,
Does anyone know if there's much change in lifestyle or lifestyle progression for someone that goes into DEP Shorthaul Yr1 at LHR vs. LGW - i.e Would it take longer to see an effective change over the years at LHR over Gatwick? I understand there are more tours at Heathrow, for example, but I'm thinking more in terms of days off per month or the time it will take to not have to work every weekend of the year etc.

I know of a friend that moved LGW -> LHR at around the Yr5 mark and has now gone back to Gatwick after not enjoying the Heathrow lifestyle in comparison. I guess for someone like me, you can't miss what you never had in the first place

Can anyone also help out with this concept of reserve - It's not something we do at my current employer. On a 28-day reserve block, do you have absolutely no idea what your days off will be/is it possible to plan any remote form of lifestyle in this time or do you just have to accept it and give yourself up to work for a month? How do people find it?

Thanks in advance!
Reserve is a 28 day period made up of 5 days off before and 2 after which you will know from roster publication. The remaining 21 days are completely random and duties are assigned the day before and can be changed up to 8pm the night before the duty starts. You might be stood down for 2 or 3 days during that 21 day period but you won’t know for definite you are stood down till 8pm the night before. So to answer you question for 3 weeks it’s completely impossible to plan anything! LGW is slightly different I don’t know the full details of how it works there but I know the blocks are only 7 days so much shorter periods.