PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2018, 15:11
Tricia Takanawa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwscud
If you want to make BA your career the only smart move is taking the earliest start date on whatever fleet you are offered. I was only offered long haul as at the time they didn’t have enough internal bidders who met the hour and insurance requirements.

Don’t join BA if your sole reason is expecting a very early command would be my view as you are likely to be disappointed, if only because those who are now getting very junior commands will be in those seats for a long time with very little movement. The only reason Gatwick particularly is going so junior is the need to man up and fly the slots acquired from Monafch internally.
Like you, I was offered the advice of joining ASAP on what ever fleet they offer. I was prepared, and in fact wanted short haul as everyone told me it would result in more roster satisfaction sooner. Living close to LHR, and having a young family this was, and still is important. However, I was offered LH (not my desired LH fleet either.) So, I was defiantly directed by BA due to costs, and my experience.

Roll on 4 years, and with a seniority number hovering around 3500, there are people getting LGW cmds at 3900. This I have a problem with. Anyone senior to me, fair enough, thats the company that I joined. At no time was I told seniority rules, apart from when it doesn't.

I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised. I was also told that reserve was allocated on a fair points system, apart from senior guys get 3 times the number of points per RSV period. And it takes 4 years to get enough leave points to get anything close to a school holiday, on another system that was sold as being fair. Oh well, apparently I should be lucky to be in.