PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where should the Vickers Vimy go?
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2018, 06:34
PinkusDickus

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
AAL took over YPAD and YPPF and paid not a lot to the Commonwealth. Since then they've made a fortune from both airports in the form of fees and charges, but significantly from real estate development bringing in IKEA, Bunnings and a host of other retail outlets. I believe they got a valuable land rezoning at Parafield when the road at the S end took some of the land. The windfall rezoning would give them a benefit North of $100M. My point is, AAL could build a decent display to house the Vimy without blinking at the cost. The could then redevelop the old display building and earn some doolars from that.

South Australians built the Southern Cross Replica which languished in the Hartwig hangar at YPPF for years, and after some underhanded deals it was given to HARS along with the insurance payout to repair it. It's now more than 16 years since the accident and some 12 years since HARS were given it, but is it flying again? I'm dead against the Vimy going interstate, and in particular going to HARS.

A message to Dick Smith. Go and play with you peanut butter, vegemite etc, but keep your nose out of South Australia's heritage. It's not wanted.