PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2018, 23:11
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartments seem to average out about $700-750 per month in NRT, plus your utilities. MyStays hotel is JPY7000 per night. I used to spend about 7 nights in NRT each month but recently I find myself staying more. 10 nights is not unusual and one guy I spoke to a few days ago said he has 13 this month. Either hotel or apartment, they need to increase the accommodation allowance.

The end of December and the beginning of January are always periods when you might be asked to move your requested days off if you didn't work them the previous year (or two). We have a system to try and ensure people get a fair chance of getting the time off but expect to certainly work during the period once in 3 years, if not every other year. Apart from this period you will almost always get your days off request. It may be an extreme but I have always got the days off I requested and it continues to be one of the best bits about this contract.

You will begin the upgrade process at around 3.5 years. Everyone gets the opportunity to undergo the assessments but not everyone passes. Normally they will allow you a second attempt about a year later. The vast majority pass on either attempt. Those that fail both attempts find themselves with 3 bars for the rest of their time with AJX. There are not that many. I can't think of anyone who has been offered a third attempt but I am sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. It's mostly a matter of studying every bit of trivial nonsense you will never need, smiling and nodding when you're told two completely different things by two different management pilots and just doing it their way, no matter how daft it seems. Once you get your 4 stripes you can engage 'Real World' mode :-)