PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2018, 15:31
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Squared
Boeing think that Boeing knows. The Boeing's manual bulletin and subsequent AD say that it is applicable to the 737MAX8 and 737MAX9 (But not the 737MAX7) They didn't choose that list of applicable models at random. I don't know what their reasons are, but for some reason they believe that this is limited to the -8 and -9. Is the MCAS installed only on the -8 and -9 but not on the -7, or any previous models? I don't know, just asking the question. It doesn't appear that there's a lot of information about this MCAS.
I think that is exactly the case. This MCAS system is something added for the MAX (but not documented...). There are lots and lots of NGs out there, and I think it safe to assume both Boeing and the FAA (and the APA for that matter) would have mentioned it, had it applied to the NG series.

The question "why?" is was added to the MAX doesn't seem to have been addressed? Was there some aspect of certification that required it? If so, how can the aircraft need it for certification, but not have it documented in the info that the folks in the pointy-end use?

- GY