PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe pilot develops a fear of flying
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2018, 10:06
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crewmeal
I may not be a pilot but was cabin crew for the best part of 30 years and never come across anything like this during my career, however I can't get my head around this story. I know it's from the DM, but there must be some truth in it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ar-flying.html
Well, taking the article at face value, he had a mental health issue that manifested itself in way that were disruptive to the company operations and for a year and a half, the airline bent over backwards to get him back in the air, including letting him ride around on the jumpseat to get used to being in an airplane, and letting him return to duty with an extra pilot in board to take over in case he became unable to perform his duties mid-flight, and despite that, he still wasn't able to function at his job. So, they offered him a non-flying position.

Unless large parts of this have been misrepresented in the article, it seems to me that the airline bent over backward to accommodate him.

Hypothetically, lets say he returned to flying, and was involved in an accident where mental fitness was suspected to be a causal factor. How would this story play in the media and the courtroom?