PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HeliOps 2019 Calendar Giveaway
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2018, 00:41
Yakking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been writing my "Most memorable moments" for quite a few years now in order to receive one of your Calendars (often on an Australian site), but I have never written about my MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT" which would have to be my first flight in a helicopter.

Like a lot of people I knew I wanted to be a helicopter pilot from when i was at least ten years old. When it came time to do a weeks 'work experience' at school I contacted a local Heli Operator (Jayrow) enquiring about completing it with them. They said yes and I went out there bright eyed and bushy-tailed. I ended up spending the week building a Horse float for the boss with the engineers. But that didn't phase me, I was in a hangar with helicopters (the closest I'd ever been to one before).

On my last day there, they had a local TV networks AS350 in for a Track and Balance. I was given the task of washing the machine afterwards. Needless to say I was wrapped! Afterwards the pilot came out and said "well i better take you for a flight now that you've washed it for me". We only did a circuit, but I was hooked! That first feeling of hovering and then when he nosed it forward and I was looking at the ground as we departed, I was blown away at how cool it all was. 13yrs later I got my license and now 25yrs later I'm still recounting the story. What I learnt from that day and still try to always remind myself of is that; even if flying Helicopters is still my job and sometimes losses a little of it's shine, for the people in the back it could be their first flight in the helicopter and they may be experiencing what I was 25yrs ago. As a result, I never try to diminish the experience of flying whenever I have unknown people on board.