PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2018, 17:38
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by hum
Strangely my original posts have been deleted... I cannot imagine what the PPrune police objected to!

I was making a general point, AoA is fundamental to everything we do as pilots, We must insist that - especially in aircraft where it is measured and used to influence systems - it is displayed to pilots. We must also fundamentally change our philosophy whereby there is an obsession with speed alone from day 1 of flight training, Lift (=G) varies with both speed AND AoA.
When, as it seems in this tragic case, an important sensor gives an erroneous value, and assuming that value is displayed (which it was not apparently) a trained pilot will quickly separate truth from lies.
There was some discussion on this after AF 447, in re getting an AoA gage in the cockpit. (As I recall that system, one could get to a page somewhere in the displays that would show AoA, but there wasn't a gage in the cockpit in that model, nor in a number of (even most) other models ...) The industry apparently is of mixed opinion on that, for all that I agree with your core point.
I find that attitude to the AoA gage a little perverse: the various flight computers use and need AoA, there are AoA sensors, multiple, and yet somehow the pilots aren't deemed to need this information. (Nor is some space on the pilot displays allotted to it in many airliners, as I understand it).