PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2018, 01:07
SpazSinbad

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Lots of things have likely changed in the meantime - we don't know how. In regard to the other thread I found this quote from the cited POGO article interesting:
"...Testers have also identified an issue with the arresting hook on the Air Force’s F-35A conventional takeoff variant. The F-35A, like other Air Force aircraft, is equipped with a single-use tailhook for emergency-landing situations when the pilot suspects a braking failure. Testing on the F-35A’s tailhook began in 2016. Testing engineers found that the arresting hook is causing damage to the aircraft due to “up-swing.” They originally rated this a Category I “Medium” deficiency. At this meeting, the deputy director of engineering, this time with the concurrence of the testing sites, downgraded the deficiency to Category II “High,” with instructions to study the maintenance- and replacement-cost data to better define the difference between “major damage” and “non-major damage”—but without actually proposing any fixes to the problem...."

I would have thought making the arrest OK was paramount whilst IF some damage was caused by UP SWING then so be it - AIRCRAFT/CREW saved.

As for 'recategorising aircraft faults': my favourite story from my past is 'as a new Delmar Venom pilot at NAS Nowra' in 1969 being taken around the Sea Venom by our VC-724 Squadron AEO Air Engineering Officer as he pointed out all the airframe 'deficiencies' including bent boom and elevator cracks - so help me god. Yep the thing flew oddly & care was taken to stay within the DELMAR Venom limitations but thankfully that aircraft was retired TOOT SWEET.