PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Politics Hamsterwheel v2.0
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 13:35
ethicalconundrum

Originally Posted by neila83 View Post
Why on earth is the highest court a completely political entity? Seems to be a complete mockery of democracy that its just accepted they will decide things according to party loyalty rather than, and you know, the correct interpretation of the law.

Genuinely always perplexed me that. And people cheer it on and excitedly ponder the prospects of judges making it through the next few years so they can get their guy/girl on. Does noone see how f****d that is, whichever side has the presidency ?
Well, since the US is a republic, and for the federal bench judges are appointed and reviewed by senate, I guess making a mockery of democracy is part of the system.

Should the US change it's form of govt to a democracy, then judges would be a pure election choice by the people. Certainly no chance of partisanship creeping in with that program - eh? Maybe you should study up on US form of govt, and on judges being elected in the various state and find out how partisan that process is. Maybe we should print the names of potential judges on a ping-pong ball and use one of those lotto machines to select judges. That way, merit and judicial integrity play no part in the process. But wait - how do we select the names to go on the ping pong balls? I know - we'll use a swim suit competition. Oh wait - Miss America got rid of that, too misogynistic. Scrabble tournament? lolz....