PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IX(B) Sqn 'Tornado 1982 - 2019' tail colour scheme
Old 9th Nov 2018, 07:51
Speedywheels

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Not knowing what's in the pipeline (if anything) to celebrate the Tornado GR service with the RAF, the IX(B) scheme follows a familiar formula with colour applied to the spine and fin. Any dreams of replicating something we've seen from the Germans are just that but it would be nice to see a scheme that celebrates all Squadrons, Flights and TTTE that have operated the RAF aircraft.
As a former Crusader it would be great to have the Squadron crest adorn a Tornado for one final time. Hopefully the aircraft would see its life out in a UK museum as a fitting final tribute. The Harrier send-off was a wonderful example of what can be achieved but reality in the current financial climate suggests we should be thankful for anything that the RAF can produce.
So, here's hoping the bean counters and the painters have something up their sleeves and have the opportunity for one final hurrah for Tornado. I'm proud to have spent some of my RAF career on this aircraft and I'll be sad to see it slip into retirement when I think it still has plenty to offer, even after 35+ years of service.