PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 03:45
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Where y'at, Edmund? Hans can figure that greeting out, maybe.

The following is not 100% directed to the Lion crash, but at Edmund's views.

Some great points, and some of us here talked a lot about the AF447 sequence of events and the procedures and many other aspects of that sad story. One thing that seemed to come up over and over was the confusing reversion of control laws. See the thread for more disussion.

My personal view was the 'bus folks tried too hard to preserve "nice" features of the prime control laws as each reversion layer came to be required. So the system did not go from highly automated and protective mode to a basic "manual" set of control laws. In other words, something resembling "hand flying". We pilots should not have to memorize and obey 5 layers of control laws and such when things go awry. A backup law and maybe one more with zero "help" from Hal could be a realistic approach. But to see a buncha layers, go see the Airbus sequence.

/opinion/ Unless your plane is a pure FBW, unstable design such as I flew, then it seems to me we should have some means to quickly and effectively revert to a pure "hand flying" machine if it passes all the agency certification requirements. Otherwise, go as far as you can, but no intermediate steps as we saw in AF447. /opinion off/

Gums...