PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying VFR in Rain?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 19:16
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheSkylander
But of course pay attention to wich type of rain is, and clouds. We might fly below Cu and stratus but not below Cb or TCU, in this case just go around clouds otherwise turn back.
"If you can see through it you can fly through it."

I will fly through rain (VFR) if I can see through the shower, and if the cloud above is white rather than black (I don't fly under black clouds even if it isn't raining).

Originally Posted by 2unlimited
Flying with even small amount of ice on your aircraft will make you a test pilot, and if you are a pilot flying a C172, I don't think thats what you want to do.
Sitting in the bath one day, going flying later that day, listening to the radio.

An instructor goes up in a C152 to see where the cloud tops are. "Hi folks, I'm on top here at 4,000'. But I've picked up quite a bit of ice - I'm only getting 70kts [or whatever it was] on full power and it's not climbing any more, I supposed I'd better come down now."
(FTAOD: do not try this at home children. This particular instructor was a test pilot as his day job.)

Re ice detection, in a C172 I've been told "look at the tyre, you'll see it there first". But I've never been in ice so don't have any first hand experience as to whether that's right or not.