PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or Virgin? Which is better?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 18:56
Barcli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RexBanner
Haha nice one. I actually had a chat with a trainer about this issue (the best trainer on the Airbus at BA in my opinion and amongst the best guys I’ve ever flown with period with the initials BC) and he agreed with me. Not only did he agree with me but he said it’s a known issue on the fleet and that every DEP pilot he speaks to from easyJet says the exact same thing, as he makes a point of asking them specifically. FACoff has agreed with me. I might be blowing my own trumpet, you can sneak through one selection process if you’re subpar but you don’t pass every single airline selection you’ve ever been through (five in total) if you’re not at least a half decent operator. So no, it’s not just me but thanks for your concern.

If you:
A) watch as a skipper ties himself in knots trying to justify a descent below MSA when it’s gin clear CAVOK out the window
B) are denied flying a visual approach in the same conditions (by a trainer no less) because “it hasn’t been briefed”
C) watch the skipper jump out of his skin after hitting the slightest bit of turbulence
D) Stick the brake fans on with temperatures just edging over 100 degrees with over an hour turnaround
E) have endless discussion about when you’re going to put the gear down (which believe me doesn’t happen in any other airline)
F) are told it is not allowed to plan to land with autobrake off (again this nonsense was spouted to me by a trainer)
G) have to put pen to paper to do a landing distance calculation onto the longest runway in the country in a light A319
H) set approach gates which are utterly pointless because they will go out the window the moment ATC give you radar vectors
I) Run the entire critical data entry process again because during the Before Starts you’ve seen that the CVR push button isn’t on. So now you’re doing it all for the benefit of the AAIB crash investigation

I could go on but if you are faced with most of those on at least 50% of the time you go to work and you can keep your patience with it, I salute you sir. You’ve either got tremendous patience or you’ve never been at an airline where you’re treated like an adult.
REX , you have it exactly , but I could another 30 to the list..... even the post flight debrief from a cadet ( who hasnt had his first sim check yet ( ever!!) and he starts with the words " Just a couple of pointers for you to take away with you".....
Have flown with BC - toppest bloke -