PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or Virgin? Which is better?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 13:26
Wireless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riskybis

Don’t get me wrong , all the guys I have flown with have been very professional .
I think it’s just on the last few trips I have done , my gears have grinded down with some of the guys I have flown with .
Just bad luck I guess ..... Hopefully next roster will be ok
i sympathise. Luckily on my fleet we have a tonne of “good folk” who just want to be partners in arms getting around with as little hassle as possible. Granted there’s a fair few Richard heads who I swear would have little propellers fitted on top of their epaulettes and even bigger Russian style hats if they could. I’ve just had a decent run of working with some really top folk and came away really enjoying the chats about non works stuff. But I know what it’s like when you do have a run of challenging ones. Can really suck the life out of it. A small example that doesn’t help is more than a few misunderstand the post flight review is meant to be a team thing, instead they seize the opportunity to play “have a go sim debrief”. Can make for that final little miserable draining experience to cap off on the way home on what is already a thankless job if you’ve been flying with someone who’s psychologically hard work.

I think it’s made worse both by LH and that BA are huge, it’s always new faces so pot luck. Some say that’s a positive as you rarely have to fly with any Richard heads frequently. But I found when I did fly frequently with Richard heads at previous airlines you actually could adapt to each other and in the end it wasn’t so bad really.

WRT the superiority. I personally only have seen it in a the minority of people on the line, but it definitely exists. More indoctrination I think. The majority of colleagues on my fleet seem normal balanced folk to me. Granted everyone is indoctrinated by the “BA way” but that’s not their fault as we all know it’s what this firm want from us. I think the superiority, super science “let’s make this job as hard as poss” level stuff really starts from the training dept level up into management. One of my joining letters even had something like “BA has the best pilots bla bla” or something like that. Nearly fell over. Had to pinch myself that we weren’t in 1930s colonial Britain . I thought I might possibly be in the wrong place at that point ha!