PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 09:54
FleurDeLys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Declaration of interest: veteran of many happy years instructing on T21/31, Venture & Vigilant - and as sad as anyone else to see the demise of Air Cadet Gliding - but......
If we look forward rather than hark back, just what sort of 'air minded' future should the Air Cadet movement aspire to inspire and prepare young people for in the future? Anything planned today will take a decade to get into full swing, and will have to be planned to meet the foreseeable needs of 30 years hence - and the likely direction of travel beyond that.
Is 'stick and rudder' flying to solo standard in basic aircraft a relevant stepping stone to a career in aviation - military or civil?
Personally, I suspect there is an even more exciting - and relevant - future for the Air Cadet organisation, its cadets and volunteer staff in planning and then delivering a new experience preparing 'air minded youth' for a world in which, in all probability, the only aircraft to have people aboard will be those whose purpose is to carry passengers.
And you know, on balance and given the chance, I think I'd prefer the challenge of being part of that than of trying to 're-launch' Air Cadet Gliding