PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 18:47
desk_bound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jijpc
Tinwald,
I think there are a number of reasons from what I have read and heard. I understand that the Stobart ATR 72-500 aircraft have not been as reliable as hoped and that Stobart want to dispose of them and concentrate on the more modern ATR72-600. Either that or their leases are up.

It is also rumoured that the ATRs are not as suitable as q400s in relation to passengers travelling on the IOM Government health service patient transfer service because the door area is narrower which makes boarding wheelchair passengers or those with limited mobility more time consuming. Also they can only board through one door on an ATR whereas the Dash 8s can be boarded/turned round quicker with boarding front and back.

FlyBe were awarded a new 3 year contract by IOMG in March which is reported in todays local paper as involving 17,000 return trips per annum, the vast majority of which are by air to Liverpool with some to Manchester so I would think that FlyBe would want carry on with the contract. From my experience these Liverpool and Manchester flights are carrying good loads and with this contract it is presumably a profitable operation.

Leases are up on ATR 72--500's
OTP over 80%, less than 3% flights cancelled in 2019 due to ALL reasons (WX, tech & misc)
Understand that loading PRM's can be an issue but OTP shows not a huge problem
Personal view only I think cancellation of Stobart Contract has more to do with Flybe's financial postion