PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying VFR in Rain?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 13:45
2unlimited

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TangoAlphad
Rain is fine providing inflight visibility is above your license and airspace minimums. And it is above freezing.. which leads nicely into your next question. For it to be snowing you are likely flying in visible moisture in icing conditions.. often doesn't end well.
So here is the jackpot question, what temperature would you consider to be above freezing? To be able to fly in rain conditions, without anti ice/ de-ice on your aircraft?

I would be more curious to know what kind of reliable equipment you have in a C-172 that can confirm you are not flying in potential freezing conditions?

Originally Posted by 22/04
In general I never set out to fly in rain. So that takes out frontal conditions - we are doing it for fun and enjoyment after all. But it does happen, most usually when showers or worse thunderstorms break.
Generally the forecasts for Thunderstorms are fairly conservative, more often than not you will see TS in the TAFs if there is any. My general attitude if there is TS around, I will never fly close to it, so that way no chance of flying in any rain from thunderstorms, because if you do, than that might be your final flight ever.