PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RCAF Hornet replacement.
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2018, 12:31
Bob Viking

Received 518 Likes on 145 Posts
Gladrag

I’m not in Canada any more so I can’t quote them chapter and verse.

It depends on aircraft type and mission. A Hawk on a training mission and a Hornet on a live scramble will have subtly different limits.

I guess what you're after are temperature limits. From what I remember the lower limit is -35C ambient (might be -30C) with a wind chill limit of -40 I think. Basically bloody cold and a CO can authorise lower if required for operational reasons. CRFI or JBI limits are also key but not really relevant to this conversation. Unless you buy F35B I guess then friction doesn’t matter. That is a joke by the way.

What I meant to add to my previous post was a point about requirements.

Several years ago the Canadian government selected F35. You don’t accidentally choose F35 if what you wanted was a conventional fighter. The requirement must have been for 5th gen characteristics otherwise F35 would not have been selected.

So, assuming the requirement hasn’t changed, how can the answer be any different this time around? Super Hornet and Gripen NG may claim next gen capabilities but I don’t know if they are on a par with F35.

Anyway, just hot air from me really because I don’t know the answer and it doesn’t affect me either way. Although as a Canadian citizen I am, of course, outraged by the flawed and protracted procurement process of my (joint) adopted land.

BV