PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RCAF Hornet replacement.
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 06:59
Bob Viking

Received 513 Likes on 144 Posts
Single engine vs twin engine

I spent 3.5 years at Cold Lake not so long ago. I was flying the Hawk in a training role. I used to hear the twin engine argument trotted out with predictable monotony.

I understand their point. Canada is huge and bloody cold in the winter.

I always felt, however, that the viewpoint was a little outdated. Indeed, I believe it was probably a hang up from an old Mcdonell Douglas advertising campaign from when it was competing with the Lockheed F16 to become Canada’s new fighter back in the late 70’s.

RCAF jets do not routinely (ie on a daily basis) operate way out in the frozen wastelands. They deploy (operationally) to Inuvik and Iqaluit for NORAD taskings.

During normal day to day operations they operate from a base with co located SAR.

Is Inuvik any worse than Syria or Iraq?

Plenty of nations seem happy enough to send their pilots into operational theatres in single engine jets.

Maybe it’s time Canada re-evaluated it’s twin engine obsession. Saab and LM seem happy enough to offer their jets up for the procurement competition so they must be confident their jets single engine must offer the reliability and safety that Canada requires for Arctic operations.

Just my take as a guy who has operated at (albeit usually within 100-150 miles of) Cold Lake through several winters. Also, knowing the dangers, it didn’t stop me flying my Hawk over the Rockies on cross country flights even in the winter.

BV

Last edited by Bob Viking; 15th Nov 2018 at 06:24.