PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 22:06
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FullWings
I find it interesting that the pilot asks for “airspeed” from ATC. Unless there was a EHS compatible transponder/receiver pair, then the answer is going to be groundspeed - which should be in the top left corner of the NAV display in front of him. It does seem to indicate that at least one of the problems they are facing is UAS...
I would think a brand new 737 MAX would have EHS capability. If so and if ATC did as well, maybe the 332 knot reading was indeed indicated airspeed and transmitted with the Mode S data.

However, based on previous news coverage of international accidents, often things get garbled in translation of ATC dialog in English to the local vernacular language and back to English again.

Has the claimed JT610 ATC transcript been published somewhere other than the gist given in the tempo.co article?

Originally Posted by tdracer
Unlikely that the QAR (or ONS server) would survive a high speed impact and subsequent extended immersion in salt water - they are simply not designed for it.

Is it likely as the ABC News article suggests that significant data may be recovered from the Boeing servers back home from the ONS? Even twenty years ago I was surprised how much operational and maintenance information was spit out in the clear over VHF ACARS by so-called modern airliners. Engine readings, fluid levels, EFIS alerts, crew lists with employee numbers (and in some cases SSN's ) plus the usual mundane text messages to call the chief pilot's office on arrival.

Even if Lion Air didn't buy the upgraded subscription to Boeing's inflight data services, would some of the information be transmitted anyway?