PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2018, 22:11
HundredPercentPlease

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by edmundronald
HundredPercentPlease
You are saying that *by design* a single blocked orifice (pitot or static vent) can put the pilot's control systems in a state such that conventionnally trained and certified airplane pilots will quite reasonably be expected to lose control and terminate in an encounter with terrain at speed, even though control surfaces and engines are fully functional.
No, I am not saying that.

I am a "conventionally trained" pilot that has many thousands of hours on both the 737 and the A320, and not once during numerous UAS experiences in the sim have I done anything other than applied the procedure and resolved the scenario.

What I am saying is that for a modern pilot exposed only to modern aircraft, this requires good quality training, and that good quality training is not something that all airlines provide.

From an engineering perspective, modern aircraft have many protections, systems and displays that rely on accurate input data. If the input data is erroneous, then the very system that is designed to protect you, can do the opposite. The STS in the 737 is one. The A320 has plenty. So a simple failure like UAS can become horribly complicated - don't underestimate this.

[Edited to add: I'm sure you are aware, but modern types do have an engineering solution to this pitot/static failure, the A320 series has a backup speed scale which is derived from AoA and works very well]