PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or Virgin? Which is better?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2018, 08:26
Cattivo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA considerations

Just a couple of points to consider from a BA long hauler. I’m not interested in a pissing contest, I’ve got mates in both companies who enjoy the job and wherever you go, I’m sure you’ll love it.

One massive plus point about the BA rosters is that once they’re finalised you can then swap, drop (although this has become more difficult) and pick up trips at the click of a button, as long as it’s legal. For a junior guy, this means that their roster may eventually look nothing like the original. This swapping system will remain in place after JSS comes in and there is a big swapping culture on most fleets. I’m bottom third on the list and get lots of weekends off because everyone wants something different. I’m on an easy mid-week trip now because someone wanted to take their partner away for the weekend. With a pretty extensive route structure and a lot of pilots to swap with, you can scan down the list of swaps like a menu in a restaurant deciding where to go!

Regarding the unsociable lifestyle comment, there is another point I’d like to mention. If you haven’t been long haul before, you may not realise just how social it is. Unlike short haul, many destinations have 2, 3 or sometimes 4 crews all nightstopping so it becomes very sociable. Weekend trips take on a new perspective. You’ll very likely have a beer with your oppo in BA/VAA too in some destinations. If that isn’t your thing then remember both companies allow you to take along friends and family to turn those longer trips away into mini-holidays.

Not sure I’d agree with your corporate culture point as I can’t say I’ve really noticed but maybe that’s just me.

Anyway, good luck with the choice, nice position to be in!