PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2018, 17:07
Gary Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derfred

SNIP

Boeing has a very good Airspeed Unreliable checklist, which will save your aircraft if you follow it properly. It takes time, and with fuel available you should use that time to understand what is wrong with your aircraft, and how to get it safely back to terra firma.

The first (memory) part of the checklist gives you an attitude and thrust that will keep your aircraft safe.

The rest of the checklist troubleshoots the problem, identifies an accurate airspeed if there is one, and if there isn’t one, gives you attitudes and thrust to get down.

Do LionAir pilots have good training in this area? I have no idea. I am fortunate to fly for an airline that does, and is practiced every 6 months in the simulator.
Though it's at least worth mentioning that AF447 carried a very good Airbus QRF too, with separate sections for Unreliable Airspeed in the Approach Phase and in the Cruise Phase. And that QRF says more-or-less what yours does. In that case the 3-man AF crew never once looked at the QRF and never once even referred to its existence. What's more, the BEA Final Report speculated (unusually, and only because of the very great puzzle as to why they crew did what they did) that the PF simply chose the Memory Item he had available from training, but that sadly it was for actions for Unreliable Airspeed in the Approach, not the Cruise; and those were very different.

(Should add that in this present case it seems to me that the crew were dealing with somewhat more than a "simple" instrument failure, and may have had some as yet unknown mechanical issue too.)