PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We must never become complacent – Dick Smith
Old 30th Oct 2018, 12:54
Arthur D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
I find it fascinating that a number of people have contacted me to tell me how “safe” we are in Australia compared to countries such as Indonesia when it comes to airline flying.

Of course, the word “safe” means without risk and that unfortunately is not possible.

Both times that I have been Chairman of the regulator (CAA and then CASA) I would wake up every morning dreading that this could be the day when we have an airline accident.
Dick, with respect, I disagree.

Comparatively, we are statistically less likely to be harmed flying by Airline aircraft in Australia than Indonesia. That is a fact.

I do not believe that is simply a function of training (even though we train to excellent standards).

The reason we are safer, is because we have a mature system of oversight and safety management in Australia. This is why the FAA and the Europeans banned Indonesian carriers, not because of just pilot or engineer standards, or aircraft age, but because their airlines ability to manage safety to a risk level as low as reasonably practical (ALARP) was poor and their regulators abilty to oversight that was even worse.

In saying that you, as Chairman of CASA, were effectively in constant fear of an accident concerns me as it implies that you had no faith in the organisation you were leading’s ability to oversight, regulate and improve Australian airlines safety management systems. It is in effect an indictment on that very organisation and the airlines it oversees.

Whilst I have some sympathy for that view in terms of CASA, (its inaction on Indonesian carriers being one example), I do not agree that we, in Australia should live in constant fear of an Airline accident. This is not to say it will never happen, but the likelihood is extremely rare and should be getting rarer every year.

Previous commentators have suggested that there is a lack of ‘proper’ accountability in Australia. I would suggest those in doubt read Section 28 of the Act, in particular 28BE. Directors cannot escape their accountability. If they choose to ignore operational risk, they do so at their own peril.