PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 15:08
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
. i have watched it plot an aircraft landing as I saw the aircraft turn during a missed approach, it has predictive algorithms so the speed and direction you see is not always what the aircraft is doing.
And an hour later, did it *still* show the airplane having landed, or had it replaced the data predicted in error with the correct data as received? I would expect the latter. But more to the point, I could see perhaps an writing an algorithm which predicts an airplane to have landed, when it notes that it is on a straight descending path pointed right at a runway, and if the airplane goes missed instead, it might take a few received data points and some data processing by the software to discover that the landing prediction was in error, and correct that. It seems a lot less likely that someone would write a predictive algorithm which would "predict" an airplane maintaining 5000 ft MSL and 300 knots, plus or minus random excursions either side of both parameters, for 6-ish minutes, when in fact the airplane did something completely different.