PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 14:52
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Great point Volume.

Besides the stab trim issue, which bothers me a lot, the air data "tubing" or lines are of interest. A combination of erroneous air data with trim operating backwards would be "interesting" to fly, huh?

Are the sensors independent of any pneumatic connections to the cockpit, or do they measure at their location and transmit data via a mux bus or wires? Most of we old farts remember when we tapped on the gauges in front of us sometimes to determine if they were stuck!!

Contamination in the lines is a real problem especially in the tropics. USAF lost a very expensive B-2 at Guam because moisture in the lines caused bad air data and the plane "dug in"/pitched up just as gear came up. Great videos of that crash. Turned out a better procedure for clearing the lines resulted. I tink there was also an incident whereby an insect had decided to make a home in a pitot tube.

Too much talk about a stall at any speed and such. Good grief, I would hope most folks here know all about AoA, EAS/CAS/TAS versus ground speed at various altitudes, etc. I know there are aviation afficianoados here that have little or no experience in the "wild blue" or have never flown any "high performance" planes, but sheesh. Rant off.....

And BTW, I have had my aileron-rudder-interconnect wired backwards one day, and have had pitot-static system failure.

Gums sends...