PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 01:09
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N2P, Sure, it's not a big deal to make a video of your first few lessons, and with a little more effort, edit the video. And then, you have a video which interests no one, with your time, effort, and camera expense. That time, effort and expense, had it been devoted to learning piloting, rather than video'ing, would have carried you well through the basic ground briefing, and understanding of the first couple of lessons. For sure, the cumulative replies about video'ing by some very experienced pilots here, probably equal what we pilots would have offered, to give you good piloting advice for those first few lessons! So often here, I have offered advice on piloting, it's a piloting website. Sure, I know about video'ing too, and as I have posted, what I know about video'ing, is that it should be prevented from distracting new pilots.

You can assert that the camera, once set to record, does not distract you while learning - yeah, maybe. But the whole effort does distract you from learning piloting! What'll you do first when you get home, get to the books and study piloting, or pass the books by, and download and edit your video? Oh, now it's 8:30 PM, and you've been at the editing for a few hours, watching the video again and again, and making it perfect - for no real reason. And, you're too tired to focus on the books. You just missed out on the best opportunity to reinforce your learning of the day. So you'll spend your money in an operating airplane the next time, re learning something, which might have stuck if you reviewed the proper training material, rather than home made videos with dubious relevance to training. It's the equivalent in my mind of going home from a flying lesson, and flying your computer flight simulator, rather than reading training books - you're equally likely to reinforce bad learning as good. The books present the right stuff, your videos may not, and you may not know the difference. Would you expect another person to learn correctly by simply watching your videos? No? How then will you?

I had a student who liked to video everything, and I thought of him today, as I watched a great video he took while I landed. It was a smooth landing (on a lake, with a really great 360 degree turn on the step) - I have the video, I had the landing, he had the ride. As I anticipated, he left off flight training, went tech, and is now a drone operator. Great! We need drone operators. But, he's not an airplane pilot. That's all okay, not everyone has to be an airplane pilot. But this discussion is taking place on a pilot forum, where we presume that participants either are, or are pursuing being pilots. The best way through this, particularly considering the cost of operating a plane for learning, is to devote that part of your life to that task, to the exclusion of distracting tech which is not needed, and not helpful.

N2P, I know that you're rolling your eyes, thinking to yourself, geeze.... another old non tech dissenter, who just does not get how important it is to N2P to have videos of his/her accomplishments in the cockpit. Well, my experience was earned by undivided devotion to learning to be a pilot. I was regularly ahead of my lessons by extra time study, and spent several occasions waiting to be old enough to take the next test, or earn the next license. I, and others here, have offered our best advice, as pilots, on a pilot website, about the value of home made videos as a learning tool for basic instruction - little.

Whether you take the advice to leave the camera at home or not is uncertain to me. But, I'm writing to a lot of other new pilots here, who are reading, but not posting. They also pay attention to what they read, and valuable advice offered.

As for wifi/bluetooth, etc. in aircraft, generally it is expected that these systems be formally tested and approved by aviation authorities. Yes, some people operate these systems aboard aircraft, and land safely. But if you operate a transmitting system in an aircraft, and it does interfere with the important aircraft systems, will you know that's happening, and the erroneous indications? The testing is called EMI testing, and there's a lot to it. But please instead of researching that, research just learning the basics of piloting, so that one day, your well earned advice will be valuable to another aspiring pilot!