PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini 737 overun at Guam
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2018, 17:17
DaveReidUK

Received 199 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
I'm not sure how we've ended up with two threads for the same accident but as I said on the other thread, thanks to Bill Jaynes' eye witness account (seated in 24F and observing the Truk Stop dock out of his window on approach) I think that it is now pretty clear that this was indeed an undershoot for RWY04.
And equally there are eyewitnesses who describe more than one impact. Here's one:

When his Air Niugini flight crashed into the waters of a lagoon on Weno island in Chuuk state Friday morning, Dr. Victor Wasson said, "The first thing in my mind was, 'Thank God, I'm still alive.'"

His next thought was, "I got to get the hell out of here."

Wasson was seated on the right side of the plane, near the wing when, he believes, the plane struck the end of the runway at Chuuk International Airport.

"We had more than one impact," said Wasson, who described "one big thud" and "then the second one, and then we stopped."

"It's highly likely that the back part of the plane hit the edge of the rocks at the end of the runway," he said.

Seconds before the plane hit the water, Wasson said one of the flight attendants "shouted out, 'Brace for impact!' Before she finished her sentence, we hit the water." He said the plane crashed "about 150 meters from the rocks."

Wasson is a psychiatrist at Pohnpei State Hospital and the national psychiatrist for the government of the Federated States of Micronesia.
Arguing about which eyewitness to believe simply illustrates why we have flight recorders.