PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-low N1 during take off roll could mean trouble. .
Old 25th Oct 2018, 11:42
Skipname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Skipname,
Maybe there was not a published SOP in the "manual" by whatever name, and woe betide any pilot who exercises initiative outside of SOPs.
And--- too many full rated power applications will have a $$$ effect on the engine warranty.
It is often quite difficult to find "airmanship/common sense" in the QRH index of many CASA micro-managed operators.
Tootle pip!!
I have no experience in CASA land and I am aware that there are a number of operators world wide who's attitudes towards flying are reducing the safety factor and forces the pilots to apply the SOPs to the letter instead of using common sense. However I think in the above mentioned incident not applying common sense could have resulted in a serious accident, they were very lucky.

In my current outfit, an EASA operator, on the introduction page of the operations manual there is a paragraph that goes something like "as it is impossible to foresee all kinds of emergencies and cover them in this manual, we encourage pilots to use their knowledge, experience and common sense while applying the procedures stated in this manual".