PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana ICN-ORD pax fatality w/ no divert, inflicting 10 hrs trauma economy section
Old 24th Oct 2018, 04:10
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailvi767
The policy at my airline is no one dies in flight. The death has to be confirmed on the ground. We divert if someone passes away. I have never heard of a airline carrying body bags. If you place a body in a lav and rigor sets in you won’t get the body out. There is also the issue of if they are really dead. Mistakes are made in that regard at hospitals with proper equipment. It’s far more likely on a aircraft.
Similar where I work, medlink will be consulted. Medlink do not recommend a diversion for an apparent death at any time. We will have an ambulance on arrival and the passenger will be transported to hospital.

While we do not carry body bags we carry something that resembles a zip up sleeping bag with handles that comes up to the armpits that can contain any fluids. A passenger can be placed into this while on the floor easily enough and allowes the cabin crew to safety handle the passenger. The passenger is placed back in a normal seat with a seat belt on. They are not covered up.

This is kept with other protective equipment like gloves, masks, aprons that are used to clean up and store blood, vomit etc.