PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 16:11
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the warning, BackPacker! Can you tell me more about the issues you had with GoPros? What happened and how did you deal with it during flight? No plan to mount anything external at the moment, and would really, really need to see a good reason to risk a £300 device before doing so. At the moment, all plans are to have the GoPros inside the cockpit positioned more for flight review than for sightseeing.

Suction mount -- flying GA with unpressurized cabins, can the ambient pressure really go down that much as to render a suction cup useless? I'm talking about RAM suction mounts as well. Obviously not all suction devices are created equal!

Tether -- again, no plans of mounting externally and will only consider tethering the GoPro inside the cockpit so that if it falls off, it's still "secure" and not a threat to any instrument or control device.

No clue -- sadly, I've worked with enough "healthcare professionals" to know exactly the vacant blank stare you're talking about!

artschool, thanks for sharing your experience! I've yet to have a look inside a PA-38 to figure out where/how to mount a GoPro but I've looked inside a PA-28 and have noticed a pre-existing instrument mount still attached, so assuming the placement is suitable for me, all I need to do is slide/clip my GoPro there and I'm done. The second GoPro will most likely be on a RAM mount with suction that I'll attach to the front-right windshield or on the door window, so again, a 5-second installation and done. I'll have a couple of trials before the actual flight to confirm camera placement and angles and have a few practice runs of attaching/detaching the equipment, but it should be quick and easy. At least it does in my head!

It seems like I won't exactly be getting the help I wanted from this thread as almost 30 posts on, I've still got no replies that are direct answers to my initial queries, so to those who are all doom-and-gloom about this idea, I would greatly appreciate sharing actual experiences I (and anyone else) can learn from!

To those who are saying recording ATC audio and putting it in YouTube is illegal, can you help me find the source for this claim? I've come across at least three channels where the pilots fly in the UK and have ATC audio, even has "ATC audio" in some of the video titles! So it's not like they're hiding the fact! Combined, they have well over 22+K subscribers and over 200+ videos (although granted, probably not all have ATC audio), but I'm not sure how "big" those channels are with respect to GA YouTube channels.