PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:51
PLTDR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transitioning to a Career in Aviation - Things to consider?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new to PPRuNe and am hoping to reach Australian pilots, established and/or currently training towards their careers for advice, as a person who has no ties or real exposure to the commercial sides of aviation.

I've long wanted to become a commercial pilot or a doctor since I was young. I didn't go down the aviation path, as I didn't really have any funds to get me started in flight training, maintain ongoing training and build up my hours.

I went the medical pathway, and now I am seriously considering turning tables and going back towards aviation, given that I now earn a salary and can realistically support ongoing training and hour building. I am in my early - mid twenties and could potentially work as a locum to fit around training.

My only flight experience is with an RA-Aus license at current, though I am looking to swap to GA and progress towards PPL +/- CPL. I'd likely have to progress with private training to maintain flexibility.

I absolutely love flying, and at my current age and early stage in my medical career, I feel this is prime time to lock in a direction to head towards, as both fields place emphasis on seniority and ongoing training.

My main questions are:
- Are there any sacrifices that I should seriously consider before changing careers?
- Is there anything you wish you knew before you started about the career? (ie x gets stale after y years, or jetlag/family time/other lifestyle sacrifices that should be considered?)
- How long and arduous is the path before you can relax and comfortably work with relative stability in terms of hours and job prospects?
- Does it ever get boring after flying commercial for many years?
- Did you ever regret going into an aviation career?
- Am I better off working on a medical career and flying for recreation? Or incorporating aviation into a medical career, such as working for the RFDS?

Any other tips, advice or things I should think about would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you all for your help and guidance.