PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oldtimer/Lowtimer
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2018, 22:23
2unlimited

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BluSdUp
Magicmick

For those of You that wants is bad, here is a few things to consider.
Make a budget for the next say 24 to 28 months, then ad 50%, If you can do that: Go for it!
Use Your non aviation experience for all its worth.
Start as a cabin crew? That will cure You!
Invest in a proper MCC course that is connected to an airline.
Pester local airlines ( 1972: DAT Sunair , Norwegian, RYR at CPH)
Go to 2019 Paris airshow and make contacts and get inspiration.
Find ANY way to get 50 hrs a year.

If You are above say 40 year , have no experience and dont have a job , say within 28 months, it was not supposed to be.
The marked is better then I have seen it the last 30 years.
So now is the time to act.

Good luck to all.
And
BluSdUp
At age 46 starting is hard, and I would say some of this post is absolute nonsense.

"Invest in a proper MCC course that is connected to an airline." Absolute BS talk. You can go to MCC course at Oxford, does not mean you going to get any connection to an airline. They take students that pay up to £150.000 for full course, don't think that a short cut MCC course is going to be deciding if you get a job or not.

" completely messed up the sim" - Magicmick, this is the reason I always would recommend people to invest in at least 4 hours or more in a full motion sim before any interview. As an older person you will discover it becomes harder to get up to speed on SOP's and management of a fastjet, for the airlines this means extra money on sim time.

I would say set realistic goals, try to go for Instructor rating, start working as an instructor and gain experience / hours with this. It's not easy to get job in todays market with low hours, RyR, is probably impossible, as they are quite ageist, or have at least been that in the past.