PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2018, 00:29
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly the reason I want to record my flights, airpolice! But instead of just watching a "perfect" execution, I'd also watch my imperfect flights and see what I can improve on and where I'm doing things wrong in certain phases of flight. It will greatly help me be more aware of what I'm doing and I hope it will pay off in quickly getting better at flying.

Clare Prop, are we not getting a bit too drastic with the warnings here? Or do you hold the same thoughts for those that use iPads or mobile devices in the cockpit? These are unsecured items too and also have lithium ion batteries.

BackPacker, I see the point regarding loose items and perhaps I can attach a string to the GoPro and secure the string to something else? That way, if something does come loose, I'll go back to level flight, pull on the string to retrieve the GoPro, and then continue on with my lesson. Would that work?

As for the setup issue, I don't expect it to take more than 2-3 minutes, maybe max 5? Taking them down afterwards would be even quicker. These are, after all, action cameras with a very wide FOV so an exact line-up of the camera isn't really very important.

Two cameras would be the minimum for me, I guess. Should a mistake happen, I want to know what the instruments looked like at the time (was I climbing? Banking descent?) and also what I was doing or looking at at the time, so those are two perspectives. More cameras just means more points of view with which to find out what went wrong. I'm surprised thought that you think audio input is overkill, but maybe you're more confident on comms than I am. What the cameras will do for my flying, the audio input will help with my comms.

ChickenHouse, do I need mechanics to sign off on the mounts inside the cockpit? I thought this was only an issue if the mounts are on the outside of the cockpit? I have come across the topic of recording UK ATC comms as illegal which surprised me as I've listened to a number of YouTube videos of US ATC comms, so I guess the rules are different on this side of the pond. However, I was told that for personal consumption, this should not be an issue. If anyone can point me to the source of this ruling, I'd be very thankful.

As for filming while in the air, if an area isn't supposed to be filmed, won't it be a no-fly zone anyway? How can anyone really enforce no-video rules if the place is out in the open and can be accessed from the air? Would they not have to prove first that the act was done for the intent of filming the restricted place instead of my own purposes of training?

While I do appreciate the warnings and bringing up things I may not have thought about, I'm still really waiting on an answer to my original questions.

Thanks!