PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2018, 08:37
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broomstick Flyer,

If you're type rated on the 767 then you will be able to do the shorter course IF they manage to pair you up with another type rated pilot. Basically you don't have to do the 767 groundschool or the systems trainer thing (an FMC trainer etc) and you don't do the type rating exam or sim check ride. You will train for the ATPL check only, although it is all the same stuff. In all you save approximately 3 weeks to 1 month.

DF,

No, you can't go straight to the 787. In fact nobody is going to the 787 at the moment because they've suspended the conversions courses while they try and get their engines sorted out. It doesn't matter to ANA that they will have to type rate you on the 767 and then the 787 later. There are plenty of people ahead of you to convert and they will do that according to the date of joining. At the moment you can't even bid to convert for the first year.

As far as bringing your family is concerned, nothing has changed form the previous advice I gave you. You could have them in the apartment during the initial training and then in the hotel during your OJT. Only you will know if that arrangement will work but if you expect them to pay for an extra room in the hotel or give you any preferential treatment because you have a baby in Japan then forget it. As far as they are concerned they are providing you with accommodation during training....which is not an unreasonable approach to take. As for their attitude towards family; well, they're certainly a bit different but if you want to work in their country then you put up with the way they do things. Japanese men live to work and many of them think we are the same. Most of the Japanese pilots assigned to AJX understand the difference but the general Japanese populace wouldn't have a clue that their thinking is not the same as everywhere else. If I had a one year-old with me then I wouldn't even mention it to them. Just get on with the training and no-one will be any the wiser. Of course, if those living arrangements do affect your performance then they will not make any allowance for the fact that you chose to have your family there and nor should they.