PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving home whilst fatigued
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2018, 19:17
Mr Angry from Purley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwscud
That would always be my defence too. Most of my stupidly long days tend to be escaping base rather than getting home and 95% of the time I would be legal to be flying still as I pull up at home.

Might help bring the ridiculousness of EASA home when lorry drivers get more rest than we do!
Jwscud
Sorry don't agree. Lorry drivers are driving on their own, they don't have ATC helping them (well unless you think the satnav is the same), the don't have the automation Pilots have, they work longer hours in general. The biggest risk for crew members is the drive home as you could be dealing with your own sleepiness or someone driving at you.
EASA has put onus on crew members responsibilities and that as many posters have highlighted is forking out for accommodation if a commuter or if tired. Some responsible AOC's now provide accommodation at base for such purposes or crew members can ask for Company assistance (being mindful its probably seen by the tax man as a taxable benefit)
If my memory serves me right EASA home base rest is the same as CAP371.
The other thing i'd point out is if your tired don't pull into a lay-by - go somewhere where someone cannot fall asleep and plough into you.
Comparing Pilots v Lorry drivers in my view not a great idea. And wireless I like your views on fatigue and tiredness - the sleepy scientists call it "sleepyness" its a shame many just tag onto the F word.

Last edited by Mr Angry from Purley; 17th Oct 2018 at 19:18. Reason: spelling