PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - People Thinking Of Going CX
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2018, 02:30
DrongoDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Porterboy
I totally understand where you're coming from and that's why I said this earlier in the thread..

I know I'd be going in and taking people's jobs which is why I'm hesitant to apply. But after I wrote that post I received a couple PM's painting a different picture so I don't know how to really feel about this. At the end of the day, I spent over $100k on training and my intent is to go somewhere that will pay me enough for me to feel like that was a worthy investment and at the same time permit me to have a decent quality of life. So far the options are very limited and it feels like the list is shrinking by the minute! Tell me you wouldn't at the very least consider Qlink if you were doing the exact same job for less than half of the pay being offered by them. It's tempting that's all I'm saying.
I totally understand your point and am sure it will be a great career move for you but you’ll be “proving” the strategy that so many CEO/CFOs have used to wreck legacy airlines.

There are two case studies (that I can think of right now) of this happening in Aus already:
1. Seaplanes. Even though minimums have gone down for almost every low hour job (one of our hangar rats just got a night IFR job with 250TT), most seaplane jobs down here still require 25k hours with 17 million water landings and 10 hours in the space shuttle. Why? So they can then turn around and say “we can’t find qualified candidates here so can we hire guys from overseas?”. It’s quite common to be in a seaplane doing a scenic over Sydney harbour and hearing a Canadian/American voice from up front. As such there are almost no junior seaplane pilots anymore.
2. Parachuting. Not so much the jump pilots but the instructors and tandem masters, the money makers. 10+ years ago there used to be 5 clubs per major city doing drops and teaching instructors/tandem masters. Now that a certain million dollar corporation have come in and use foreign tandem masters, there’s no need for those clubs. So from 5-6 planes needing 5-6 jump pilots, we now have 1-2 planes needing 1-2 jump pilots.

From your previous post I believe you’re Canadian? If so I’m guessing you went through (or are still going through) the hard yards in their GA industry too. I reckon you’d be pretty ticked off if Aussies started coming over and taking all the 1900/King Air/Caravan/Dash jobs leaving all the Canadians stuck on old Never-gos and the like.

If I were you I’d head to Sunwings or a LCC in Europe (where they’ve already killed their GA industry), get a command + few thousand hours on a 737/320 then go after a lucrative commuting contract in mainland China.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had the pleasure to fly with some foreign crews and they’ve all been top notch. I just don’t agree with them taking full time jobs until all the local boys have filled those positions (without having to adher to fairytale minimums).