PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2018, 08:10
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
It’s these last 10 posts or so that put me off joining BA at my age. I have a young family with a wife who works long hours.
I understand aviation is a 24 hour 365 day operation but working every weekend because I’m a junior on the seniority list coupled with a low command pay throws a lot of doubts in to the mix.
I have never been a massive fan of seniority giving people the right to every weekend, Xmas new year etc off. I believe there should be compromises but hey ho I know that goes with joining BA. If I didn’t have a young family maybe it wouldn’t bother me. It’s why I think if BA are working so hard with fatigue rising why not go somewhere and at least earn some decent money and be able to retire earlier in life.
My airline isn’t perfect but at least our rostering agreement guarantees at least 1 weekend off a month.

FWIW Xmas is currently one on a points system so as to ensure a degree of fairness, and TBF some people ( self included actually like some of the Xmas Longhaul trips, so they don't all "go" junior. Weekends however can problematic unless you are very near the top of your list....