PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - People Thinking Of Going CX
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2018, 16:09
Porterboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tea time
Porter boy,
have you considered Dragon air above Cathay [...]
I’ve considered Dragon, but on top of being shy of the required experience, it looks like it’s the exact same contract being offered for Cathay DFO’s; pilots of which get to fly around the world, not just south east Asia. Is there a hidden benefit that I’m not seeing about Dragon? Quick command maybe?

I’ve seen these other contracts ie: Korean, ANA, Xiamen, etc. I don’t think I’d do very well as a commuter to be honest. I’d much prefer to live at the base of where I’m flying and living in those places (Seoul, Tokyo, etc) sounds cool, but I don’t think it would be as livable for an English speaking person compared with Hong Kong.

I think I’ve been sufficiently turned off from applying to CX. This is sad. I think I might try my luck at Qlink. If I could play my cards right and get PR/citizenship and later get on with Qantas, I think that would be a career worth having. I don’t understand how two countries with similar populations and similar living costs, etc can have such different pilot pay. Just to give an example, at Qlink for a DFO on the Q400, they pay ~80k. The exact same position here at Jazz pays 38.96/hr (37k @80hrs/mo). Tax is very similar. I can’t believe it.