PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2003, 06:30
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIK

Additionally, the ability for the pilots of TCAS equipped aircraft to be aware of the location of nearby aircraft without the need to rely on an expensive ground-based air traffic control infrastructure has an enormous potential for cost savings.
Cost savings to who?? Government, RPT yes, most likely. But to achieve those 'savings' you have to do a cost shift, i.e. mandate equipment.

So, VFR must subsidise RPT/Govt to achieve 'cost savings'. I can feel a howl of protest starting now (with me via the minor parties and the ALP!!!).

ADSB. It is a box that encodes position info in the same way a mode C encodes altitude. The 'bit stream' out of the transponder is called the squitter. Some Txps are Mode S compatible, most aren't and will need replacing.

CDTI is a Mode S receiver working the same way as current TCAS. Wheras TCAS can only give distance (and altitude via Mode C) and an approximate direction, the ADSB CDTI can decode the Mode S and do a comparison. Other traffic can be presented as a list or a pseudo radar screen.

Yes, good for pilots. Especially if all pilots have it, two pairs of eyes and all that.

But why not use it to expand 'radar' coverage??? I can't see the harm in that unless you have something personal against ATC (except plazbot, I'd understand that!!).

Surely more coverage is a good thing??? Surely more coverage will result in cost savings via routing savings and thus, when fully paid for by those who will benefit from it, full ADSB will improve Australian airspace.

Paul.

Commercial Airspace, a term used to indicate ownership and thus the purchase of a ticket prior to entry. In this case it seems the ticket is a $2K transponder and ongoing maintenance.

I can feel a personal 'No E below 8500' position being put to the Board.

AK