PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cambridge Spies and vetting experiences
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 15:01
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
The tale I relate dated from late 80s - PV - while on a course at a school in Kent. The lecture was by a 'young' provost officer and his subject was hijacked by hostile questioning from the audience, one of whom was the airman's flt cdr.

The point about the wg cdr was startling. If he had reached the rank of wg cdr before confessing then it followed that he had previously lied. I have no clue who the wg cdr was though I had seen rather odd behaviour by another wg cdr some 12 years previously.

Similarly the story about the VSO had only surfaced after he was compromised in a toilet in Shepherd's Bush.
Interestingly I knew of a RAF Police officer who later came out as gay. Whilst genuinely not an issue on a personal level, this was back in the days when part of the application process asked a direct question as to your sexuality. Noting there was only one correct answer, this individual clearly lied. Given that, what does that mean for any convictions they were involved in securing? Was their credibility, and by extension the integrity of their investigations in anyway diminished or compromised by the fact that they lied in the first place to get to where they were?