PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe Cadet
Thread: Wannabe Cadet
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 04:42
Seagull201

Originally Posted by rolling stop
Hi Everyone,

As a 26 year old Australian citizen hoping to be accepted into an airline cadetship, does anyone have any advice on which airlines/regions I am eligible for and should pursue or avoid? As I am not in the industry I am not exactly sure of the current conditions at the different airlines and which would be good to target.

I was originally going to apply to everywhere and anywhere that had an opening but I don't have enough savings to pay for a $100,000+ cadetship up front, does this just limit me to Australian programs eligible for FEE-HELP or programs paid by the airline with an employment bond?
I also presume as an Aus citizen I would not be eligible for european or american programs as I don't have unlimited working/living rights there, is this correct?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section or has been asked before, please let me know if so and I will move it/find the existing thread.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.
Rolling Stop,

Your best bet is to apply for REX, but be aware, you will get a Maths and Physics test, as part of the selection process.

The other cadetship's and Airforce, will give you similar tests.

If you have been out of the education scene for a long time, you're better off, paying for your training as you go.
It might take you 3 to 5 years (part time) to get to CPL/IR/Flight Instructor Rating, but you will eventually get there.
Expect to spend about 150K, with ATPL theory exams completed.

If you want to do it, then make a start, there's no point in talking about it, behind a keyboard.

Just be aware, this game, costs a lot of money, and there's no guarantee of a job, but you will eventually get something,
as long as you stay in the race and there's no medical issues along the way.

All the best.