PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Authorities given right to shoot down private drones in US
Old 10th Oct 2018, 05:35
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A few things to clear up. First off, in the US the authorities do not have 'rights', when acting in their official capacity. The rights in all cases are reserved for people, some powers are delegated to authorities, and the state. Which is why it was necessary for congress to authorize their action.

Next, living in a border state I can tell that there are uses for drones along the border, to check for authorities location and direct border jumpers to the right direction. There have been stories around of some of those Mexican drones crossing into the US and taking pictures, and in general being a nuisance. The law as written is not intended to stop JUST these kind of drones, but gives very wide discretion to authorities(I would guess border patrol) when using weapons against a drone. Our representatives need to protect the citizens both from those who would do us harm from outside, and those who would use their expanded powers to harm us from within(border patrol). Only some experience will sort out the limitations as the use expands into the interior of the country, and more private drones are blasted out of the sky.

What's important for me is that there be NO restrictions on the private citizen protecting the airspace above and around them with the same vigor. Whether that is a 12Ga with a load of #6 bird shot, or some electronic jamming means, whatever the feds have, should not be denied to the citizens. So far, there is no precedent either way. The one case in TN was dismissed, but no finding went to a jury for us to hang our judicial hat on. The way I see it, and I am not a lawyer, and have a very anti-authority interpretation - that anyone can blast a private drone out of their airspace, and let the cops use whatever law they want to try to stop it. As there is no specific law on the books it will come down to an unlawful discharge of a weapon. If the reason the weapon was discharged was to protect liberty and property, my argument would be that it was lawful under the 2nd Amendment, and the 13th. Not sure if all juries in a liberal location would see it that way, but that's why I live in a very conservative area.