PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter has rough landing at Ski Apache
Old 9th Oct 2018, 13:19
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless I little rude perhaps? Of course regardless of which side he was sitting the point remains:
"believing that it was at the height of the ground slightly to the left of his path where he eventually finished, which is probably where his eye was?"

The ground looks the same on top of the bump and below it in the flat area to the aircraft left, where he was probably judging his approach to. With a very constant angle approach the contours would be less obvious since no parallax change between the high part and the lower referenced part of the surface. So he is missing that cue.

It looks more like he just continues his trajectory, untill intended decel later, rather than attempting to pull power and running out. No sign of an attempt to arrest the rate of descent. Was he very heavy? 10k is not that high for a B2.

It's a bit like the tree that 'leaps out on you', he wasn't expecting the ground to be there. Being embarassed he reports a gust, but as Crab points out no sign of that.

It seems he was a very good pilot (with a little luck, but you make your luck too) as evidenced by holding it together during the event.

I speculate that it was an illusion or misreading of the height of the ground.
Any pilot can make errors, even excellent ones, and it looks to me that he was excellent.

I expect this forum is full of people who never make errors.