PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2018, 15:12
Warmtoast

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Re. Accommodation
In my #12331 of 26th Sept I showed a couple of my photos of the airmen's billet in S. Rhodesia which I occupied during my first overseas tour (1951 - 1953).
In 1956 I was posted to the Far East and spent time in RAF Negombo (Katunayake), RAF China Bay, RAF Seletar and RAF Gan between 1956 - 1958. Some photos from my album showing the Far East accommodation below.

RAF Negombo

Palm trees everywhere with storm drains alongside the billets. Drains were occupied by frogs that loudly croaked throughout the night. On arrival we were given a briefing that scorpions were a constant hazard and told to give our shoes a good bang to dislodge any nasty's before putting them on.

RAF China Bay

General View - Modern Blocks

Airmen's accommodation blocks

Grey Langur monkeys were plentiful. Troops of them were everywhere especially on the roofs of buildings. They were harmless and accepted scraps of food - the youngsters were very appealing!

RAF Seletar

Finally RAF Gan

42-miles south of the equator and brown tents meant it was Hot!

Later 'Kadjan' (woven palm leaves) walled buildings replaced tents, much better, but still too much heat as roofs were un-insulated corrugated iron sheets.

...and just before I left Gan at the end of 1958 to return home the first of the many 'proper' billet blocks were completed, but I never lived in one.

WT