PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cobham Cadet Pilot Progam
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2018, 03:47
Flyboy1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre

Why is flight training undertaken during a cadet program lower quality? How is doing CPL training through a non-cadet course at a normal flying school better? Aren’t they “sausage factories” too as they teach the same CASA syllabus? I mean it’s said as a derogatory term but essentially a training course that produces pilots who operate to the same standards and procedures is a “sausage factory” isn’t it?
I attended half my training at a smaller flight school/ charter company, the second half at a “sausage factory”.

At the smaller school, my instructors were all charter pilots, flying heavy twins with a couple thousand hours each, guys who enjoyed to be there.

At the sausage factory, my first instructor was a 250 hour grade 3 who was there simply to build a few quick hours for himself and move on, which he did.
i’m sure that’s not the case with all schools, however I see that some of the meta instructors at certain flight schools have never flown a charter in their life, and haven’t touched a twin since their mecir flight test. They may know the ifr according to the aip, but do they really understand how to take advantage of the IF
rules? Have they ever had to calculate fuel for a max payload flight during poor weather? I doubt it. I know they have to start somewhere, but should they be starting by teaching something they don’t really know?