PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HKCAD ground exams - Military exemptions
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2018, 14:33
Cardinal Pistachio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HKCAD ground exams - Military exemptions

Hi all

I was looking for some advice which perhaps some ex-UK Military Pilots may be able to provide....I’ve reviewed the previous threads on this subject but can’t find the information I was looking for....

To give the background, I gained my ATPL in the early 2000s based on the sliding scale of exemptions granted by the UK CAA to military pilots. Coming from a multi-engine transport background this meant I was exempt most of the ground exams. Obviously this was great at the time but now presents some difficulties when applying to any Hong Kong based employers which will require proof of passes in all ATPL ground exams. However, I understand from the HKCAD that exemptions from some ATPL ground exams can be given. CAD 54 contains the following:

“Exemptions from examinations may be granted either on the basis of flight experience or on previous examination results. Military experience may be considered if the applicant can produce evidence (e.g. syllabus of the training) showing that the standard of his military training is consistent with the level of knowledge required for the grant of the requested licence.”

Sadly, I think that the syllabus I followed is probably now in a glass case at the RAF Museum Hendon....

Has anyone from a similar background successfully gained exemptions from some of the subjects and if so what documents did you supply to the HKCAD?

Cheers

Cardinal P

Last edited by Cardinal Pistachio; 7th Oct 2018 at 14:58.