PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-3
Thread: Stansted-3
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2018, 23:09
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you actually know why continental left ?
Do you know why American came and Left ?
Do you know how much wealth is in the catchment for Stansted ?
Do you know How overcrowded LGW is on the Newyork route ?
Do you know how hard it is to get slots at LGW
American dropped ORD as compared to LHR, yields were poor.
American dropped JFK as it was a pure spoiler route against MaxJet and EOS. They have dropped STN twice now.
Continental retrenched to LGW and dropped STN.
LGW-JFK on BA is the only one on LON-NYC not to offer a First Cabin, LGW-JFK has always challenged them compared to LHR. This is a clue on yields in this market.
Wealth in the Stansted area doesn’t remotely compare to the business traffic generated in the London/M4 corridor at LHR.
I know today is raw for supporters of STN but marketing analysis is my day job, so perhaps all the above airlines were making too much money from all the wealth in Essex and Cambridge or perhaps, just perhaps, there are some weaknesses in your analysis.

If you are right and someone comes into STN-US at Primera levels for 2019 then I will apologise publically on here for all to see, I don’t mind being wrong in that way at all, not one bit. Let’s see who jumps in?

You would think the answers to the Questions were obvious but from reading the rubbish wrote by Skipness one foxtrot I’m not so sure he knows suggesting continental and American left due to yeald and Stansted can only sustain LCC is just wrong.
It was a mixture of poor yield and a strategy to maximise value of their substantial investment in slots and ops at LHR. I have flown out of STN four times this year and excepting EK and a smattering of BA’s attempts to keep CFE busy at weeknds, it remains overwhelmingly Loco and there is *NOTHING* wrong with that, but consequently it will and does struggle to do long haul, as high fares down the front make low fares down the back sustainable.

It’s “yield” btw, no ‘a’.

Last edited by Skipness One Foxtrot; 1st Oct 2018 at 23:44.