View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 09:02
Uplinker

Best not over generalise - my wife's car doesn't need pressure on the brake pedal to get into "D"; but it does need it to move it from "D" to "N". My first automatic was like that, too.
Fair enough. My car, (DSG auto built in 2008), actually tells me in text on the dashboard to put my foot on the brake before selecting gear !

I really do wish you automatic, electric handbrake disbelievers would go and try a three litre auto beemer, and I am fully convinced you would not only eat your hat,you would want one for the weekend.
I have driven a Merc with an electric handbrake. The lever, (well, switch), was hidden under the dashboard on the outboard side of the car instead of on the centre console. It pushed to apply, pulled to release, which is the opposite way round to what you would expect. Secondly, I like the idea of having a totally separate, simple lever operated handbrake, since it needs no electrical power and therefore doubles as an emergency brake if all else fails. With a conventional lever handbrake, a passenger has at least a chance of stopping or slowing the car in the event of driver incapacitation.

Honest John swears by left foot braking and it may come naturally to those brought up on automatics, but I never have.
(My mistake, in the bit of yours I quoted, you do say left foot on brake etc.)

Muscle memory means that left and right feet deliver entirely different pressures even though you think they are the same.
Exactly. Unless you have raced or rallied cars, your left foot is unlikely to have the fine control and feel required to left-foot brake subtlety and effectively.

Left foot braking is all very well, and I did it myself, but if you drive a mix of manual and auto cars as I do, you might find out the expensive way that it is much safer to use your right foot for go and stop, your left foot only for clutch or just bracing your body through the corners.

Autos don’t need a foot on the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time. (manuals do if you are heeling and toeing, but that is only really for racing). Autos either have torque convertors or auto clutches to hold them on an up-slope*, and some cars hold the brakes on for you when you push the pedal twice and then move your foot onto the accelerator for you to do a hill start.

* However, I would NOT recommend using a DSG auto clutch gearbox to hold oneself on a hill - the #1 clutch will wear out. But it will hold you while you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.

Last edited by Uplinker; 27th Sep 2018 at 09:31.